The inspection went along quite well on Saturday, right until the end. He was a great inspector, very informative and patient with our millions of questions. I would highly recommend him. The only issue came when he climbed into the attic at the end of the inspection, and came back down requesting a freezer bag. Apparently, the attic is filled with an insulation product called Vermiculite. Vermiculite was widely used between 1920 and 1990 in Canada, and the area where we are buying is filled with homes insulated using this product. Apparently, in the 90s it was pulled off the market because it was found to contain asbestos.
Of course we were devastated. We love this house. We were planning our lives in this house. I tend to get overly emotionally attached to things quickly, and this house was no exception. We didn’t know what to think. The product isn’t supposed to be dangerous unless it is disturbed. so you can seal off the attic and not worry about it (yeah right!) but the issue comes when we would be going to renovate or to re-sell. It would then be our problem to deal with. After doing some digging, the cost to remove it is somewhere in the 12,000$ range. Not pocket change, by any degree.
We are getting a sample analyzed today, and it takes 48 hours to have the results back. There is a 70% chance that our insulation came from the mine that was contaminated. That is a very high percentage, and I am not one to be particularly lucky in matters like this one.
I don’t know what we are going to do. I am leaning towards buying it anyway, because I love it and think it would be worth the extra money. The homeowner doesn’t seem to care, and says she thinks she will just take it off the market and seal up the attic and rent it out. The whole thing is frustrating, and confusing, and I don’t know what to do.
I will just have to wait until Wednesday afternoon, when the results come back, and take it from there.